Landlord Compliance

There are specific areas where landlords must comply with the law. CityZEN has knowledge and experience of these areas which make your role as a landlord significantly easier.

Gas can be a dangerous commodity and all landlords are required, under the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations 1998, to make sure all gas appliances are maintained in good order and to ensure that an annual safety check is carried out. Regulations require a record to be kept of those maintenance activities and for a copy to be issued to your tenant within 28 days of the check taking place.

New laws from the EU have resulted in all properties requiring an EPC (energy performance certificate). Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) give information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions. All homes bought, sold or rented require an EPC.

From June 2020, private landlords in England are required to have a periodic inspection carried out on the installations in their rental properties (known as EICR inspections/certificates). These must be done every five years to ensure the safety of your property and your tenants.

Fire specifications apply to all furnishings in a landlord’s property unless the landlord is letting his personal home out for a single, short term let. This means that you will need to ensure that all furnishings in your property comply with the Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1988.

There is also specific legislation relating to Homes In Multiple Occupations (HMOs) which are properties of more than three stores let to multiple tenants. These properties must be registered with the local authority who may then apply specific requirements of the property.

Whatever property type you are renting CityZEN have a team with all the experience to manage and deliver compliance in all of these important areas.