Landlord Questions

Do I need to worry about Health and Safety?

Most definitely! There are regulations covering fire, gas and electricity that you must comply with and you will benefit from working with our property advisors who know all these requirements in depth.

What is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy?

It is the most widely used form of tenancy agreement and covers all lets that are over six months long and have a rental value of less than £100,000 per year.

Do I have to carry the cost of damage to my property?

That depends on the contract you have issued your tenant. A sensible contract such as ours will make any damages other than fair wear and tear the full responsibility of your tenant.

Do I need an EPC (energy performance certificate?)

Yes this is a legal requirement and as of the 1st April 2014 all properties marketed for sale or rent must be accompanied by the first page of an EPC report. CityZEN can arrange for a qualified inspector to carry out this report on your behalf.

Is my property a Home in Multiple Occupation?

The law says that if a building has three or more floors and the tenants share some facilities such as kitchens, toilets or bathrooms then your property may be a Home in Multiple Occupation. The law also allows individual local authorities to widen this definition if they wish to, so you will need a property advisor who knows local market conditions.

Can I hold my tenants deposit whilst they are living in my property?

Yes you can but you are required by law, to register the deposit with a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme within 14 days of your client paying you the deposit. The laws on this are changing all the time so you will need to take advice from our management team in order to comply with the latest deposits legislation. CityZEN are members of the TDP (Tenancy Deposit Scheme).